Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Your Hostess Loves Spoofs of Restaurants!

Since becoming a hostess a year ago, I've realized that not only do a lot of people misunderstand the hostess but also they misunderstand that it's not the hostess making the rules, it's the restaurant. I feel almost as if the restaurant is the government/legislature and the hostess are the police officers but when stuff hits the fan, the legislature throws the police officers under the bus every time.

Digressing from my bitterness, I have seen many spoofs of full service restaurants such as the one I work at but here I have, a prime example of one that really hit home for me. This is the episode of TV sitcom My Wife and Kids where the Kyles take a reluctant trip to a Japanese restaurant where everything seems to be going awry.

In an attempt to get the whole family to high tail it back home so he could watch a very popular basketball game, Michael [the father] tries everything in his power to destroy the night so the family can go home. First, Michael pushes Kady [youngest daughter] into a Koi Pond at the restaurant and she gets all wet causing Janet [the wife] to buy her a $60 sweatshirt just so that she could be dry. Second, Michael finds that there is a long wait for a table and the hostess offers the family to hang out inside the Toko Lounge while they wait, Michael accepts and goes to purchase an overpriced drink and is becoming increasingly annoyed. Michael then walks over to the hostess stand to check on his table and the hostess tells him that his table was ready 20 minutes ago and that she buzzed his pager 82, twice. Michael then rebuts that the buzzer never rang and the hostess then recalls; his buzzer doesn't work-she gives him a new functional buzzer, pager 140. After getting seated, Michael realizes that he is sitting with a man he'd had a confrontation with at the gas station earlier that day and becomes infuriated. He realizes that the hostess took a sip of his drink and asks that he receive a new one free of charge while the manager steps in to diffuse the situation Michael also reports that the price of the sweatshirt is entirely outrageous and he learns that it was actually more expensive than he was charged. At the end, there is a blowout between the Kyle family and the family unwillingly sitting at their table.

I found this episode hilarious because these things are some of the situations I encounter in my everyday work experience, it's easier to laugh at it when it's not happening to me and I want to share my love of restaurant spoofs with everyone.

Here is the episode in case you haven't seen it: My Wife & Kids: Table for too Many

No comments:

Post a Comment