Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Hostess May Hate You But She Loves Giving Back!

I don't usually write about things like this in my blog but I attended this great event supporting the spread of awareness of HIV/AIDS. The event was planned and carried out by cousin Todd Bethell. I was personally honored to be invited to this event because of the cause but also the fact that he made his very own awareness day and he made it fun. For those of you who may or may not know, World AIDS day is December 1, 2014.

The event was held at the Biscayne Shores and Gardens Park on February 28. The park is a great spot, my dog loves it there. I was kind of scared at first because although we posted flyers almost everywhere in Miami Shores, the turn out was small--at first. There were a couple people who showed up because they saw the flyer and they brought red items some even going as far as to bring Doritos chips, Twizzlers and I've even seen a red light bulb go up. Then we had a couple passers-by that saw what we were doing and wanted to be a part of it so they went and got their red items and joined our event.

I had a great time while also getting some helpful information including websites to get the latest statistics about HIV/AIDS and also information about where I can get tested. One of the speakers also did a great game with trivia about HIV/AIDS and dispelled common myths and stigmas about HIV/AIDS. All in all, I think Project X-Out AIDS was a success and a Friday well spent.

Here are a couple websites that I got from the event:
• Latest statistics about HIV/AIDS, information about the disease and events supporting awareness of HIV/AIDS: AIDS.gov
• Thrift store, donate to AIDS Healthcare Foundations, get a prescription filled, FREE HIV Testing: Out of the Closet
• General gynecology information, STD Testing (as well as HIV testing), Obstetrics and Cosmetic information: Women & Teens Healthcare
• Pregnancy/parenting advice, STD/HIV Testing, STD/HIV information and pregnancy and sex information: Planned Parenthood

And lastly, I will leave you with these awesome shots I got at the park during the event.
Project X-Out AIDS Flyer on local wire pole

Participant holding Project X-Out AIDS flyer before event
After the ribbon was finished, young girl eating left over Twizzlers candy
Todd Bethell, my cousin and creator of the event, posing in front of the finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment